Pages

Saturday 23 February 2013

Yeast Cakes with Apricot Jam

So this week I was thinking about how lucky I am that I haven't cought a cold for quite some long time now . I think I was sick last year in January for few days and then for more than a year healthy as a fish. I'm sure a lot of sport I do makes me keep fit and healthy but this time cold came and knock on my door aswell. It's no big deal, but sneezing, runny nose and headache really aren't that nice friends, so I hope they go away as soon as possible!


I know I should be resting, drinking tea with lemon and so on ... but that's just not the way I am. I have too much energy running through my veines so having a rest is really not an option for me. Even when I'm sick. So today I managed to lie down in the morning for half an hour but then I've got bored. I was thinking what to do in order to forget my sickness and to feel good. So I've got an idea to make these cute little yeast cakes with jam again. That's something my grandma used to do and she made them soooo tasty.


It's not realy that healthy choice of a dessert, but considering it is baked and not fried like doughnuts are, I still think it's not bad to eat some here and then. Beside that they really are delicious and tasty and that's why they found a place on my blog aswell. They've turned out light and juicy on the inside and crunchy on the outside so everyone just loved them. Here is the recipe so can also make them yourself:

Ingredients for 10 cakes:
500 g white flour fot yeast dough
2 dcl milk
1 dcl water
0,5 vegetable oil
30 g fresh yeast
15 grams brown sugar
9 grams salt
1 egg
apricot jam

Preparation:
Combine yeast with 1 dcl of warm milk, add 5 grams sugar, mix and cover with a tsp of flour. Let it rest in a warm place for approximately 20 minutes so the yeast rises. Warm 1 dcl of milk and 1 dcl of water. In another bowl prepare flour (it's better if you warm it a bit before) and make a hole into it. Put salt on the corner of the flour in a bowl. When the yeast rises, put it in the hole, cover with flour, add sugar and oil and start mixing with "dough-adapter" of your mixer. Slowly add milk with water and mix until you get dough that does not stick to the bowl. Cover with blanket, put in a warm place and let it rest for some time (30-60 mins). 

Prepare baking pan with baking paper.

After that roll out the dough in a rectangle shape - so you can then cut out 10 squares (around 0,5 cm thick).
On each square put a tsp of apricot jam in the middle. Then compress the dough from two opposite sites so you get kind of a "pouch" shape. Put the cakes so they hold eachother on the baking paper in a pan - with dough sticked together on the bottom side. Cover with blanket and let it rest in a warm place for additional 30 minutes.

Meanwhile heat the oven to 225°C (440 F). After 30 minutes use a brush and spread an egg over your cakes (you will probably not need to use whole egg). Put them in preheated oven and bake for around 20-25 minutes.
Put them out and enjoy them still a bit warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment